The Agency believes in maintaining high standards of ethical conduct in the operation of the Agency’s programs and the representation of them to the community, including a commitment to privacy and confidentiality within the limitations defined by law. The Agency adheres to all applicable Federal and Provincial Privacy legislation and is committed to protecting the professional and personal privacy and confidentiality of its employees, volunteers, clients and contractual relationships.
- The nature of the matters normally brought to the attention of the Agency may involve the most personal and intimate aspects of the Agency’s employees, clients and volunteers lives. Individuals share the information with the expectation that it will be kept confidential and will not be subject to abuse.
- Individuals in a position of trust within the Agency will treat as confidential, all information acquired in the course of their work or volunteer activities as the case may be, concerning members, clients, participants, volunteers, staff, donors, and other constituents. When such information is revealed for professional purpose, it is done with discretion and respect for the persons concerned. Examples of confidential material include, but are not limited to, the following:
- All client records and information
- All Employee and volunteer records and information
- All home addresses and phone numbers of clients, volunteers, donors, partners and employees
- All Board business including:
- Financial/fund raising information
- Personnel business
- Proposals pending
- The Agency is governed by any and all applicable federal/provincial or parent legislation and disclosures are only made when necessary to comply with legal requirements. Applicable Federal and Provincial Legislation includes but is not limited to:
- Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation
- FOIP (Freedom of Information and Protection of Policy)
- PIPEDA (Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documentation Act)
- For more detailed guidelines and procedures related to client and volunteer service delivery files (and database records) please see Policy SD701 in the Agency Service Delivery Policy and Procedure Manual.